Permit holders are required to maintain and operate a flow meter on their wells in order to accurately record their groundwater use on a monthly and annual basis. The resulting information is required to be reported to the EAA no later than January 31 of the following year. Monitoring withdrawals and evaluating monthly meter readings throughout the year can help a user avoid exceeding annual authorized amounts.
A completed Meter Registration Form is required for the installation of new meters. For repairs or replacements, a Meter Replacement Repair Form is needed. When submitting a Meter Registration Form or a Meter Replacement Repair Form that involves installing a new meter on the well, you should attach a copy of the Meter Calibration Certificate with the completed forms. Both forms may be submitted to:
- Edwards Aquifer Authority
- Attention: Meter Program
- 900 E. Quincy
- San Antonio, Texas 78215
If you need assistance reading your meter or if you believe your meter may not be reading accurately, please contact the EAA's Meter Team at (210) 222-2204 or (800) 292-1047 as soon as possible.
EAA Meter Matters Smartphone App
To better assist Permit Holders to accurately record their monthly and annual use, and to help in meeting reporting requirements, EAA has developed a smartphone application (App) for both iPhone and Android called “Meter Matters.” This App allows well owners to record their meter reading and instantly report that reading to the EAA. The App is free to download and easy to use. When used to report a meter reading during the year, EAA staff can process that submission against the Start-of-Year reading and provide back through the App how much water has been pumped Year-to-Date. This information allows Permit Holders to better monitor and manage their use throughout the year. In addition, EAA staff will use meter readings submitted through the App to populate annual use reports, and if used monthly throughout the year, will fully achieve regulatory reporting requirements.
Once you have downloaded the App to your Smartphone, you can:
- ADD a meter using the Meter Serial Number (the same number you registered your meter with the EAA)
- REPORT a Meter Reading to the EAA
- MANAGE the meters you’ve added to your phone; you can add as many meters as you need. You can also assign a Nickname to your meters for easy reference
- See a HISTORY of your meter reading submissions. When EAA staff processes your submission, you will see how much water you have pumped through the meter Year-to-Date (YTD)
Reporting a Meter Reading has never been easier!
- Simply select the meter you which to report
- Enter your Meter Reading from the Meter Register
- Take a Photograph of the Meter Register
- Submit and Confirm the Meter Reading
EAA staff will process your submission and indicate for you how much water has been Pumped Year-to-Date (YTD)
Benefits of Using the Meter Matters Smartphone App
- Allows you to easily report a meter reading right from your well
- Provides you information about your water use
- Allows you to see a history of your submissions to more effectively manage your withdrawals
- Helps you comply with EAA meter reporting rules
- SPECIAL NOTE to EAA Permit Holders of 3 acre-feet or greater…! You can use this App to meet your Monthly Reporting requirement when the Aquifer is in Critical Period Management (CPM) conditions…!!
Please tell us about your experiences using this App
EAA staff is interested in your experiences and encourages your feedback. Please contact us at FieldTechs@edwardsaquifer.org, or call our Field Inspection Supervisor, Jose Barela, at (210) 222-2204 or toll free at (800) 292-1047.
We hope to bring you the following additional functions to the App soon:
- Registering a New Meter with the EAA
- Reporting a Meter Repair or Meter Change
- Reporting a Meter Accuracy Verification Test (necessary for Permit Holders who withdraw greater than 28 acre-feet per year)
With the Meter Matters app, you can:
Add a meter using the Meter Serial Number – the same number you registered with us
Report a Meter Reading
Manage the meters you've added to your phone
Add as many meters as you need and assign nicknames for easy reference
See a history of your meter reading submissions