Transfer - Buying, Selling, and Leasing Water Rights - Edwards Aquifer Authority

Transfer – Buying, Selling, and Leasing Water Rights

Well owners or water users who need additional groundwater can buy or lease all or part of the groundwater withdrawal rights authorized in an existing permit through an administrative process known as a permit transfer. In fact, municipal, industrial and irrigation permit holders must apply for a permit transfer any time groundwater rights are sold or leased. Permit holders are also required to notify the EAA of any other changes to a groundwater withdrawal permit through an amendment process. These amendments to permits include changes to the permit’s purpose or place of use; to the location of the well associated with the permitted withdrawals (point of withdrawal) or to the permit holder’s name.

More forms and information may be found along with other permit holder forms in the business center under Manage My Groundwater Permit.

In observance of Memorial Day, the office will be closed on Monday, May 27th.