Helpful Information - Edwards Aquifer Authority

Helpful Information

Frequently asked questions

Q: Who is required to have their meters tested/calibrated?
A:  Municipal and Industrial users authorized to withdraw 28 acre-feet or more annually are required to have their meters tested for accuracy.

Q: How often must meters be tested?
A: According to EAA rules (PDF), accuracy verification tests for meters should occur every four years after meter installation.

Q: Do I have to provide proof of my accuracy verification testing?  
A: Permit holders should provide proof of accuracy verification (invoice, certificate, etc.) to EAA staff if requested. The EAA highly encourages permit holders (Municipal & Industrial) to submit notification of the results once the testing has been completed.
Q: How will I know if I need to perform a meter accuracy test on my meter(s)?  
A: A reminder card or correspondence letter will be mailed out to each permit holder before his or her meter verification is due.

For more information, call the E Meter Team at (210) 222-2204 or (800) 292-1047 or via email.

Meter Accuracy Verification

EAA permit holders authorized to withdraw more than 28 acre-feet of groundwater annually are required to perform an accuracy verification on their meter(s). Any meter not achieving a certified (+/-) 5% error rate cannot be used and must be either repaired, replaced or calibrated.

Tamper Detection Devices

The tamper detection devices used by the EAA consist of a simple thin wire or cable measuring from 13”- 39” in length. These cables contain a barcode and are numbered for tracking purposes. In some situations, the configuration your meter installation may require the use of a different form of tamper detection device to accommodate your meter(s).  As outlined in the EAA rules (PDF), tamper detection devices “may not hinder the day-to-day maintenance or emergency repairs of the pipe upon which the meter is installed and shall be consistent with state and federal regulations.” If a permit holder encounters an issue with a meter, they may remove the device. If such action is required, the permit holder should immediately contact the EAA Meter Team and report the incident.